The Islamic State claimed Tuesday that one of its “soldiers” carried out an apparent suicide blast in Manchester that killed at least 22 people, including teenagers and others streaming out of a pop concert.
Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins named the suspected attacker as 22-year-old Salman Abedi but declined to provide other details.
A senior European intelligence official said the attacker was a British citizen of Libyan descent. The official said the suspect’s brother has been taken into custody.
The Islamic State’s claim came as British investigators intensified their search for possible accomplices and police teams fanned out across the northern city after the worst terrorist strike in Britain in more than a decade.
The Islamic State did not give any details about the attacker or how the blast was carried out late Monday. Its statement was posted on the online messaging service Telegram and later noted by the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors militant websites.
The Islamic State often quickly proclaims links to attacks, but some previous claims have not been proven.
- Timeline: Manchester terrorist attack as it happened
- Manchester Arena attacker named as Salman Ramadan Abedi
- Manchester Attack: What we know so far about Salman Abedi
- Police focus on whether Manchester bomber acted alone
- Manchester is suffering now – but its spirit will overcome this atrocity
- Manchester attack: City reacts with resilience and support
- ‘Absolute heroes’: praise for medics treating Manchester victims
- The shocking way right-wing hacks are responding to the Manchester atrocity
- The rule of law applies to everyone, even hate peddlers like Katie Hopkins
- Why self-imposed political silence is a misguided reaction to terrorism
- Trump says ‘evil losers’ were behind Manchester attack
- #MissinginManchester: The fake images circulating online