“Hundreds” of cases of alleged wrongdoing – some involving senior officials – were being looked into by Fifa’s ethics committee before its main investigator and judge were ousted, the two have claimed.
Football’s world governing announced on Tuesday it will not reappoint investigator Cornel Borbely and ethics adjudicator Hans-Joachim Eckert.
At a news conference on Wednesday, they said their removal was a “setback for the fight against corruption” with knowledge of the cases being lost.
The pair had earlier said it “meant the de facto end of Fifa’s reform efforts”.
Borbely believes his removal was politically motivated.
“We investigated several hundred cases and several hundred are still pending and ongoing at the moment,” Swiss Borbely said on Wednesday.
- FIFA overhaul another blow to credibility
- Fifa ousts governance chief in ‘night of long knives’
- FIFA reform is ‘dead,’ says man who helped bring down Blatter
- Infantino planning power grab at FIFA Congress