It was a false flag! Al Qaeda did it! Why would Assad use chemical weapons when he’s winning the war? It had to be those evil terrorists.
These are the petty cries by some on the conspiracy-minded left with regard to this week’s barbaric chemical attack in the rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhoun, which took the lives of at least 74 and injured another 350.
Of course the United States lays all the blame for the attack at the feet of President Bashar al-Assad, who has been implicated in many war crimes over the years. And unsurprisingly, the Russians, Assad’s chief allies, have countered, claiming the Syrians bombed a toxic weapons depot that unleashed the deadly nerve agent. So, in the end, according to Russia, these civilians were simply collateral damage in the War on Terror™ – an endless war, mind you, that the left once opposed.
- Is Assad to blame for the chemical weapons attack in Syria?
- Did Assad use chemical weapons on Khan Shaikhoun to score an own goal in the international arena?
- Don’t Jump to Conclusions in Syria Gas Attack
- UN Seeks Compromise on Investigation Into Syria Gas Attack
- Kremlin says Syrian gas attack ‘unacceptable’ but U.S. data on it not objective
- Syrian government sets terms for any inquiry into gas attack
- Putin to Netanyahu: Unacceptable to Make ‘Groundless Accusations’ on Syria Chemical Attack
- Syria: Israel ‘main beneficiary’ of gas attack allegations
- France’s Macron urges military intervention if chemical use by Assad proven
- 2014 Destruction of Syria’s Chemical Weapons