Donald Trump’s interview with Larry King on the Russian-government-funded television network RT America is being widely seen in the mainstream U.S. media as evidence of unseemly coziness between Trump and authoritarian Russian leader Vladimir Putin.
The interview came after months of claims by Democratic Party officials and news media pundits that the Russian government is trying to get Trump elected.
RT America has a long history of coverage that benefits the Russian government and is critical of the United States, as many former employees have complained.
But there’s one glaring problem with the theory that RT America and the Russian government are fond of Trump: RT America is arguably more critical of Trump than U.S. media.
The interview with King itself was far from a softball event — with the host pressing Trump on topics from releasing his tax returns to his utter lack of any strategy in the Middle East. And it’s not uncommon to see criticism of Trump on the network.
- Donald Trump talks to Larry King
- On Russia-backed TV network, Trump doubts Russian influence
- US media, Trump’s own campaign freak out about his interview on ‘Kremlin RT’
- Larry King to Trump: ‘You’re a great friend,’ but I can’t vote for you
- David Duke Loved Trump’s Immigration Speech
- Why Donald Trump Is Dangerous For All Humanity