If you live in Baltimore, you may have the feeling that you’re being watched. You are. Baltimore Police track your cellphone use without a warrant. They secretly film the entire city from the air. And as concerns about the uses and privacy implications of that next-generation surveillance tech have mounted, these domestic spying scandals also raise another question: Why Baltimore?
It turns out that Baltimore checks off all the requirements to build a modern American urban panopticon: High crime rates, racially biased policing, strained community-police relations, and lack of police oversight have turned Baltimore into a laboratory of emerging surveillance techniques.
- Baltimore Police Defend Secret Surveillance Program
- Secret Cameras Record Baltimore’s Every Move From Above
- How Zero Tolerance Policing Destroyed Black Communities in Baltimore
- DOJ Finds Baltimore Police Routinely Violate Black Residents Constitutional Rights
- Vindication for Baltimore Police Critics — But No Action