When U.S. leaders and pundits talk about NATO, they describe it as the linchpin of world security and the manifestation of Western liberal values. In other formulations, the U.S. is graciously bestowing a kind of welfare program to its allies in the form of security and protection throughout the European continent because, well, that’s just how much we care about our fellow man.
In reality, NATO is about U.S. control and domination, and a recent report at Foreign Policy demonstrates this fact quite well. Apparently Turkey, a NATO member, has been trying to finalize a deal with a Chinese company to build its first long-range air and missile defense system. This infuriated officials in Washington to the point that they drew up legislation that would ban Chinese-built missile defense systems within NATO.
- Congress Moves to Spike China’s Missile Deal with Turkey
- Turkey, China cooperation on ballistic missiles not new
- Raytheon, Lockheed consider fresh bid for Turkey missile defense
- NATO’s top commander questions Turkish missile deal with China
- US Patriot missiles will remain in Turkey for another year