‘An 800-page independent report commissioned by the US-friendly Colombian government and the radical left rebel group FARC found that US military soldiers and contractors had sexually abused at least 54 children in Colombia between 2003 and 2007 and, in all cases, the rapists were never punished–either in Colombia or stateside–due to American military personnel being immune from prosecution under diplomatic immunity agreements between the two countries.
The report was part of a broader historical analysis meant to establish the “causes and violence aggravators” of the 50-year-long conflict between the government and rebels that’s presently being negotiated to an end.
[…] Thus far, however, these explosive claims seem to have received zero coverage in the general US press, despite having been reported on Venezuela’s Telesur (3/23/15), the British tabloid Daily Mail (3/24/15) and Russian RT (3/25/15).’
- At least 54 Colombian girls sexually abused by immune US military: Report
- US Military Sexually Abused at Least 54 Colombian Children
- US soldiers and contractors raped 54 Colombian girls and will never face charges
- US troops, contractors sexually abused Colombian girls with impunity – report
- U.S. soldier’s immunity clouds 2007 Colombian rape case (2009)
- It’s Déjà Vu for DynCorp All Over Again (2010)
- Dyncorp and Halliburton Sex Slave Scandal Won’t Go Away (2006)
- Sex-slave whistle-blowers vindicated (2002)
- UN Child Sex Slave Scandals Continue (2007)
- Peacekeepers’ Sex Scandals Linger, On Screen and Off (2011)
- Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse
‘[…] This WiFi-connected Barbie may soon be a hit among children used to tinkering with iPads, but children’s privacy advocates are crying foul. Hello Barbie may be more accurately called “eavesdropping” Barbie, says one advocacy group. Another popular description? Creepy.
Hello Barbie works by recording a child’s voice with an embedded microphone that is triggered by pressing a button on the doll. As the doll “listens,” audio recordings travel over the Web to a server where the snippets of speech are recognized and processed. That information is used to help form Hello Barbie’s responses.
“If I had a young child, I would be very concerned that my child’s intimate conversations with her doll were being recorded and analyzed,” Angela Campbell, faculty adviser at Georgetown University’s Center on Privacy and Technology, said in a statement.’
‘Are you, your family or your community at risk of turning to violent extremism? That’s the premise behind a rating system devised by the National Counterterrorism Center, according to a document marked For Official Use Only and obtained by The Intercept.
The document–and the rating system–is part of a wider strategy for Countering Violent Extremism, which calls for local community and religious leaders to work together with law enforcement and other government agencies. The White House has made this approach a centerpiece of its response to terrorist attacks around the world and in the wake of the Paris attacks, announced plans to host an international summit on Countering Violent Extremism on February 18th.’
- Countering Violent Extremism: A Guide for Practitioners and Analysts
- Homeland Security: Countering Violent Extremism and the Power of Community
- Spies Among Us: How Community Outreach Programs to Muslims Blur Lines between Outreach and Intelligence
- Chart: Are you a jihadist? The French government made this checklist
- Britain May Spy on Preschoolers Searching for Potential Jihadis
- France’s anti-jihadi efforts net an 8-year-old schoolboy
- Terrorist or … Teenager?
- Should Anti-Vaxxers Be Punished?
- Anti-Vaccine Doctor Under Investigation
- Rand Paul Annoyed At Vaccine Controversy
- Do Religious Exemptions Do More Harm Than Good?
- California Looks To Tighten Exemptions For Measles Vaccinations
- Doctors, Schools Urge Parents To Vaccinate
- Health Officials Urge Measles Vaccinations
- Funding the Costs of Disease Outbreaks Caused by Non Vaccination
‘[…] Since 2001, the coalition has dropped about 20,000 tonnes of ammunition over Afghanistan. Experts say about 10% of munitions do not detonate: some malfunction, others land on sandy ground. Foreign soldiers have also used valleys, fields and dry riverbeds as firing ranges and left them peppered with undetonated ammunition.
Statistics from the UN-backed Mine Action Coordination Centre of Afghanistan (Macca) show there were 369 casualties in the past year, including 89 deaths. The rate rose significantly in October and November when 93 people were injured, 84 of them children. Twenty died.’
- Bitter Lake by Adam Curtis (Documentary)
- Afghanistan: None Dare Call It a Defeat
- U.S. airstrikes in Afghanistan hit two-year high
- SIGAR: Pentagon’s economic development in Afghanistan ‘accomplished nothing’
- After Vowing to End Combat Mission in Afghanistan, Obama Secretly Extends America’s Longest War
- New Afghanistan pact means America’s longest war will last until at least 2024
- Surprise: U.S. Drug War In Afghanistan Not Going Well
‘Dr Tony Perry, a pioneer in cloning, has announced precise DNA editing at the moment of conception in mice.
He said huge advances in the past two years meant “designer babies” were no longer HG Wells territory.
Other leading scientists and bioethicists argue it is time for a serious public debate on the issue.’
- Designer baby – Wikipedia
- Rules for babies ‘from three people’
- ‘Designer’ Babies Are Only for the Rich
- We’re Already Designing Babies
- Children to Order: The Ethics of ‘Designer Babies’
- Designer babies? It looks like racism and eugenics to me
- Science’s Top 10 Breakthroughs of 2013: Human Cloning At Last
‘China has by far the greatest gender imbalance of any nation in the world, with conservative estimates from 2014 putting the ratio at 115.8 males to every 100 females.
The peak body responsible for family planning in the country, the National Health and Family Planning Commission, this week made its strongest statement yet on the crisis.’
‘For the first time in at least 50 years, a majority of U.S. public school students come from low-income families, according to a new analysis of 2013 federal data, a statistic that has profound implications for the nation.
The Southern Education Foundation reports that 51 percent of students in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade in the 2012-2013 school year were eligible for the federal program that provides free and reduced-price lunches. The lunch program is a rough proxy for poverty, but the explosion in the number of needy children in the nation’s public classrooms is a recent phenomenon that has been gaining attention among educators, public officials and researchers.’
- Prince Andrew plans no legal action against woman claiming sex abuse
- Prince Andrew could face a Scotland Yard investigation over sex abuse claims
- The girls silenced by Andrew’s friend the sex abuser Jeffrey Epstein
- Prince Andrew may have been secretly filmed with underage girl he is alleged to have abused
- Sarah Ferguson praises Prince Andrew as ‘the best man in the world’ amid sex allegations
- Alan Dershowitz Denies Sexual Assault Allegations
- A Second Look At The Allegations Against Alan Dershowitz
- Prince Andrew ‘underage sex slave’ claims she was paid £10K after he bedded her
- Prince Andrew allegations: ‘Underage sex slave’ Virginia Roberts met the Queen, claims her dad
- New Claims Prince Andrew Asked U.S. Prosecutors To Go Easy On Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein Over Human Trafficking Claims
- The first full account of the masseuse at the center of the explosive Prince Andrew ‘sex slave’ drama
- Duke denies claim in court papers that teen was picked to sleep with him by Robert Maxwell’s daughter
- Did legal deal protect the duke? Paedophile billionaire’s plea bargain halted police investigation
- Woman who claims Prince Andrew abused her while she was billionaire’s ‘underage sex slave’ says she is being ‘unjustly victimised’
- Jeffrey Epstein: the billionaire paedophile with links to Bill Clinton, Kevin Spacey, Robert Maxwell – and Prince Andrew
- Lord Mandelson, Prince Andrew, Shaun Woodward, and convicted paedophile pimp Jeffrey Epstein
- Prince Andrew shared a room at Epstein’s Caribbean hideaway with a busty blonde who claimed she was a brain surgeon
- Prince Andrew’s billionaire paedophile friend given permission to land private jet at RAF base for visit Sandringham
- Ghislaine Maxwell is ‘just like her Daddy’
- Jeffrey Epstein’s Sex Slave
‘Nursery school staff and registered childminders must report toddlers at risk of becoming terrorists, under counter-terrorism measures proposed by the Government.
The directive is contained in a 39-page consultation document issued by the Home Office in a bid to bolster its Prevent anti-terrorism plan.
Critics said the idea was “unworkable” and “heavy-handed”, and accused the Government of treating teachers and carers as “spies”.
The document accompanies the Counter-Terrorism and Security Bill, currently before parliament. It identifies nurseries and early years childcare providers, along with schools and universities, as having a duty “to prevent people being drawn into terrorism”.’
- Nursery staff to be forced to report toddlers at risk of becoming terrorists
- According to the Government, my toddler could be a terrorist…
- U.K. Could Require Teachers to Report Would-Be Terrorists
- Challenging The Counter-Terrorism And Security Bill
- Counter-Terrorism and Security Bill
- My NHS Counter-terrorism Training Session
‘The children of women who are exposed to higher levels of chemicals called phthalates during pregnancy may have lower IQ scores than those whose mothers are exposed to lower levels of those chemicals, according to a new study. Phthalates are common in products such as plastics and the fragrances used in shampoos, air fresheners and dryer sheets.
In the study, researchers followed 328 women in New York City who were either African-American or Dominican-American, as well as their children, who were born between 1998 and 2006. The researchers measured the levels of four types of phthalates in the women’s urine, and looked at the children’s IQ scores at age 7.
They found that the children of mothers with the highest urine levels of two chemicals — called di-n-butyl phthalate (DnBP) and di-isobutyl phthalate (DiBP) — had IQ scores that were about 6 to 8 points lower than those of the children whose mothers had the lowest levels of those chemicals in their urine.’
‘Afghanistan has the world’s highest number of children killed or wounded by landmines and other explosive remnants of war, followed by Colombia, according to a leading anti-landmine group.
In its annual Landmine Monitor report, the International Campaign to Ban Landmines and Cluster Munition Coalition (ICBL-CMC) said the number of recorded casualties of mines and other explosive remnants of war has decreased to the lowest level since 1999, but child victims have risen.’
‘The security services are facing questions over the cover-up of a Westminster paedophile ring as it emerged that files relating to official requests for media blackouts in the early 1980s were destroyed.
Two newspaper executives have told the Observer that their publications were issued with D-notices – warnings not to publish intelligence that might damage national security – when they sought to report on allegations of a powerful group of men engaging in child sex abuse in 1984. One executive said he had been accosted in his office by 15 uniformed and two non-uniformed police over a dossier on Westminster paedophiles passed to him by the former Labour cabinet minister Barbara Castle.
The other said that his newspaper had received a D-notice when a reporter sought to write about a police investigation into Elm Guest House, in southwest London, where a group of high-profile paedophiles was said to have operated and may have killed a child. Now it has emerged that these claims are impossible to verify or discount because the D-notice archives for that period “are not complete”.
Officials running the D-notice system, which works closely with MI5 and MI6 and the Ministry of Defence, said that files “going back beyond 20 years are not complete because files are reviewed and correspondence of a routine nature with no historical significance destroyed”.’
- Westminster child abuse claims: what do we know?
- Westminster child abuse and murder claims ‘only tip of the iceberg’ in scandal, Theresa May warns
- Retired Scotland Yard detectives back up claims that paedophile MPs murdered boys at sex orgies
- Father claims police covered up son’s murder by Westminster paedophile ring
- Theresa May: Wanless report finds Home Office cover-up ‘not proven’
- Child abuse files lost at Home Office spark fears of cover-up
- Twenty people tell police they were abused by Cyril Smith
- Senior Lib Dem ‘ordered destruction of document on Cyril Smith abuse claims’
- Smile For The Camera: The Double Life of Cyril Smith (Book)
- Lobbying by paedophile campaign revealed
- Cover-up bid in vice scandal (NotW 1982)
- Elm Guest House child abuse scandal
- Westminster paedophile dossier
‘Millions of YouTube viewers have been captivated by the ‘Syrian hero boy‘ who manages to rescue a little girl while under gunfire. Now a group of Norwegian filmmakers have told BBC Trending they are behind it. They say it was filmed on location in Malta this summer with the intention of being presented as real.
Lars Klevberg, a 34-year-old film director based in Oslo, wrote a script after watching news coverage of the conflict in Syria. He says he deliberately presented the film as reality in order to generate a discussion about children in conflict zones.
“If I could make a film and pretend it was real, people would share it and react with hope,” he said. “We shot it in Malta in May this year on a set that was used for other famous movies like Troy and Gladiator,” Klevberg said. “The little boy and girl are professional actors from Malta. The voices in the background are Syrian refugees living in Malta.”‘
David Cameron attacked by sexual abuse victims after calling claims of Home Office cover-up a ‘conspiracy theory’
‘Campaigners for survivors of child sexual abuse have savaged David Cameron after he called claims of a Home Office paedophile cover-up a ‘conspiracy theory’.
Referring to the findings of a review into allegations of a VIP paedophile ring, the Prime Minister said on the campaign trail in Rochester that ‘conspiracy theorists’ would have to ‘look elsewhere’.
Last night the author of that review flatly called Mr Cameron’s comments ‘wrong’, while the National Association for People Abused in Childhood said his intervention was ‘appalling’.
It seemed to directly contradict an extraordinary admission by Theresa May, the Home Secretary, that there ‘might have been a cover-up’ of an Establishment paedophile ring by her department in the 1980s.’
- Westminster sex abuse inquiry widens amid child homicide claims
- MP Danczuk dismisses the Wanless/Whittam report as a whitewash
- Government gave money to Paedophile Information Exchange group
- Files concerning Westminster paedophile ring were destroyed in last few years
- ‘MI6 chief and shamed diplomat raped me’ claims alleged victim
- Home Office under fire over missing child abuse files review
- Theme park bans single adults over paedophile fears
‘A dossier containing claims about paedophiles at the heart of the Establishment has vanished, an official review has found.
The failure to discover the “Dickens” dossier fuelled fears of a past cover-up to protect Westminster and other senior figures.
The review, led by the NSPCC chief executive Peter Wanless, investigated how the Home Office handled child sex abuse allegations at Westminster in the Eighties.
But the Standard understands it has been unable to uncover crucial missing files including the dossier handed to the Home Office by former Tory MP Geoffrey Dickens. The documents are believed to contain the names of MPs and police officers who were suspected of being child abusers.’
‘Sexual exploitation of vulnerable children has become the social norm in some parts of Greater Manchester, fuelled by explicit music videos and quasi-pornographic selfies, an MP has warned.
The systematic grooming of boys and girls remains a “real and ongoing problem”, a year after Greater Manchester police (GMP) was forced to admit it had failed abuse victims in Rochdale, said Ann Coffey, a former social worker who is now the Labour MP for Stockport. “My observations will make painful reading for those who hoped that Rochdale was an isolated case,” she writes in a significant report.’
- Rochdale MP says Coffey Report is ‘dangerous’ – not enough focus on police
- Whistleblower says police ‘cherry-picked’ Rochdale arrests
- The Coffey Report: Child Sexual Exploitation, Social Norms and Social Change
- Hundreds of ‘missing’ children at risk in Greater Manchester
- Rotherham child sexual abuse scandal is tip of iceberg, says police chief
- Greater Manchester police ‘failed to pursue child abuse gang claims’
- Rochdale Cab Firm Offers Customers White Drivers
- Councils in denial over extent of child sexual exploitation, says report
- Rochdale grooming: ‘Shocking’ failure over sex abuse
- Child sexual exploitation is ‘hidden issue’, children’s minister warns
‘[…] Over the past 20 years, prompted by changing police tactics and a zero-tolerance attitude toward small crimes, authorities have made more than a quarter of a billion arrests, the Federal Bureau of Investigation estimates. Nearly one out of every three American adults are on file in the FBI’s master criminal database.
This arrest wave, in many ways, starts at school. Concern by parents and school officials over drug use and a spate of shootings prompted a rapid buildup of police officers on campus and led to school administrators referring minor infractions to local authorities. That has turned traditional school discipline, memorialized in Hollywood coming-of-age movies such as “The Breakfast Club,” into something that looks more like the adult criminal-justice system.’
‘What do we call this time? It’s not the information age: the collapse of popular education movements left a void filled by marketing andconspiracy theories. Like the stone age, iron age and space age, the digital age says plenty about our artefacts but little about society. The anthropocene, in which humans exert a major impact on the biosphere, fails to distinguish this century from the previous 20. What clear social change marks out our time from those that precede it? To me it’s obvious. This is the Age of Loneliness.’
- Neoliberalism has brought out the worst in us
- Britain the loneliness capital of Europe
- Loneliness: a silent plague that is hurting young people most
- Isolation – a growing issue among older men
- One in five children just want to be rich when they grow up
- Secret Fears of the Super-Rich
- Campaign to End Loneliness: Research
- Income Aspirations, Television and Happiness
‘The Ministry of Justice has come up with the idea of building a super-prison for children as young as 12, at the core of which will be a regime of punishment and physical restraint. The jail will house around 300 boys and a handful of girls, and includes a planned unit for babies in case the girls get pregnant.
No one, but no one, supports this bizarre proposal, except for the companies that would profit from building the £85m complex. The government has refused to publish the rules or any details about what it is euphemistically calling a “secure college”. Next week the House of Lords will scrutinise the legislation and consider an amendment suggesting the whole idea be put on hold until more details are published.’
- Change law that puts children in jail for minor offences, says report
- Grayling gives green light for staff to use force against inmates in new jail
- Youth Offender ‘Super Prisons’ Plan Condemned
- Young offenders’ institution declared unsafe by chief inspector of prisons
- Plan for Europe’s biggest children’s prison ‘would put young offenders at increased risk of harm or death’
- Inquest into death of Adam Rickwood leaves more questions than answers
- Laura Smith on the death in custody of Gareth Myatt
Iraqi doctors and prominent scientists believe that DU contamination is also connected to the emergence of diseases that were not previously seen in Iraq, such as new illnesses in the kidney, lungs and liver, as well as total immune system collapse. DU contamination may also be connected to the steep rise in leukaemia, renal and anaemia cases, especially among children, being reported throughout many Iraqi governorates.
There has also been a dramatic jump in miscarriages and premature births among Iraqi women, particularly in areas where heavy US military operations occurred, such as Fallujah during 2004, and Basra during the 1991 US war on Iraq.’
- Iraq calls for global treaty ban on depleted uranium weapons
- US fired depleted uranium at civilian areas in 2003 Iraq war, report finds
- Iraqi Government Killing Civilians in Fallujah
- Still dangerous after 30 years: Uranium particles from DU weapons
- World Health Organization Covers Up Iraq War Crimes
- How the World Health Organisation covered up Iraq’s nuclear nightmare
- We’ve moved on from the Iraq war, but Iraqis don’t have that choice
- Ten Years Later, U.S. Has Left Iraq With Mass Displacement & Epidemic of Birth Defects, Cancers
- In a State of Uncertainty: impact and implications of the use of depleted uranium in Iraq
- Study: Cancer, Infant Mortality and Birth Sex-Ratio in Fallujah, Iraq 2005–2009
‘Kids across America no longer have to wait until college to plan on being a part of the National Security Agency. In fact, they could start preparing for their NSA careers as early as age 13.
The NSA has begun sponsoring cybersecurity camps for middle and high school students, agency recruiter Steven LaFountain told CNBC’s Eamon Javers in a recent interview. Six prototype camps launched this past summer, and the NSA hopes to eventually have a presence in schools in all 50 states.’
‘A former Vatican archbishop accused of paedophilia stored tens of thousands of child porn videos and photos on a computer in his office at the Holy See diplomatic compound in the Dominican Republic, it has emerged.
Details of Jozef Wesolowski’s massive child porn stash have been revealed after the 66-year-old was arrested at the Vatican earlier this week.
He is the highest-ranking Vatican official ever to be investigated for sex abuse, and the first top papal representative to receive a defrocking sentence. He has been charged with sexually abusing minors and child porn possession and might face up to seven years in the Vatican’s tiny jail.’
‘A group of American families is suing football’s governing body Fifa for putting children who head the ball at risk of concussion, according to a report. The lawsuit, filed in California, accuses the sport’s administrators of acting “carelessly and negligently”.
It is not seeking financial compensation, but wants to see a limit on the number of times young players are allowed to head the ball among a number of other rules designed to protect children, according to The Daily Telegraph. Ben Pepper, a personal injury lawyer at Bolt Burdon Kemp, said the case might prompt people in the UK to consider legal action.’
U.S. Justice Department sides with 14-year-old girl raped while serving as ‘bait’ in middle school sting
‘The federal government today sided with the guardian of a teenage girl who was raped during a botched sting operation in the boy’s bathroom, arguing the Madison County School system was liable under federal law to investigate harassment and protect female students.
“A school board cannot avoid summary judgment as a matter of law when a school administrator willfully ignores a plan to use a 14-year-old special needs student as bait to catch a student with a known history of sexual and violent misconduct, and as a result, the student is sodomized,” reads the federal brief filed in the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals late today.
The U.S. Department of Justice argues administrators at Sparkman Middle School near Huntsville knew the boy was dangerous and showed “deliberate indifference.”‘
- Student suspended for saying ‘bless you’ after classmate sneezed
- Breaking Bread: Student Punished for Sharing Lunch
- Panic Over Military Jacket Sends School Into Lockdown
- Middle School Students Who Complained Over Dress Code Suspended for “Terroristic Threat”
- School Calls Cops On Runaway Special Needs Kid
- 9 Year Old Girl Suspended From School for Act of Kindness
- 2-Year Old Girl Suspended From Ottawa Daycare For Bringing “Cheese Sandwich”
- Chicago School Officials Suspend 11-Year-Old Boy Under ‘Dangerous Weapons’ Policy for Voluntarily Turning in Non-Firing Toy Gun
‘Teachers in Jerusalem say they are concerned about facing more racism than ever before in the capital’s schools, especially following Operation Protective Edge. As the school year opens, the Education Ministry has published lesson plans on racism to be taught during the first two weeks, but many teachers say that is not enough.’
- Activists wage vigilante efforts against racism in Jerusalem
- Signs of fascism in Israel reached new peak during Gaza op, says renowned scholar
- Jews and Arabs in Israel more estranged after war
- Israeli Teens Gripped by Virulent Racism
- Israel ‘coercing Eritreans and Sudanese to leave’
- Education Ministry plans teaching children to be ‘Jewish fighters’
- Likud MK caught on tape calling Jerusalem police chief ‘a coward’ for handling of Arab riots
- Bill seeks to give Israeli Arabs official national minority status
- ‘Arabic out': Right-wing MKs aim to make Hebrew Israel’s only official language
- Joan Rivers: ‘Low IQ’ Palestinians ‘Deserve to Be Dead’
- Israel’s New Generation of Racists
‘Canadian documentary photographer Michelle Siu records “vulnerable people and disenfranchised cultures.” In the past that has meant the First Nations people of Lake St. Martin in Manitoba, who have been displaced from their land by flooding, or the destruction wrought upon the Philippines by Typhoon Haiyan. In her series, “Marlboro Boys,” the disaster is man-made.’
‘A St. Louis-based coloring book company updated its controversial terrorism-themed books to include lessons about the Islamic State.
Really Big Coloring Books’ reissued series hit the Internet last week. The rereleased books feature supplemental pages that detail the Islamic State, the terrorists released in exchange for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl and the Boston Marathon bombings.
“These books tell the truth,” Really Big Coloring Books founder Wayne Bell said in a video announcing the reissue. “We’re trying to educate the country on these animals, these brutal people, these terrible humans on the planet called ISIS.”‘
‘The new chairman of a long-awaited Government inquiry into historic child sex abuse was facing calls to resign last night after The Mail on Sunday discovered her astonishing links to Leon Brittan – a key figure embroiled in the scandal.
Fiona Woolf, the Lord Mayor of London, was appointed to carry out the important role of investigating claims of an Establishment cover-up of VIP paedophile rings on Friday, two months after the original chairman was forced to step down over conflicts of interest.
But this newspaper has found that the top corporate lawyer is also closely linked to Lord Brittan – who is likely to give evidence to her inquiry.’